Rosemary Barton
Avenida Neptuno 3
Urb. Port Mar N. 19
46137 Playa Pobla de Farnals
Valencia Spain

Monday, September 20, 2010

I AMsterdam! :)

So let’s see, it’s been a long time since I updated this, but I haven’t had much time on the computer! Thursday night we had our “eat cheap” at the study center so they cooked us pasta and salad for 2 euros, which was delicious and fun. That night we went out to Max Max and I had such a good time with everyone from our group! I played pool and Dominic and I dominated. Haha well I didn’t score like anything the first game or two, but then suddenly I became really good. Until I hit the 8 ball in but scratched at the same time. I still count it ha.

I think we got back around 3, but I couldn’t tell you. Then I decided rather than sleeping until 5 when I would have to get up for my flight to Amsterdam, I would just stay up all night. So I skyped with Laura for like an hour and a half. It was a good night. So Erin, Kelly, and Emily emerged to leave around 5:30 and we got a taxi to the airport.

It was super easy getting our flight to Amsterdam. Valencia has some weak security haha. Once on the flight I just passed out for the 2 hours. Needed to get some sleep eventually. We landed and it was incredible how much colder it was there. I guess I shouldn’t have been that surprised, but it was like 40-50 degrees. I ended up having to buy a coat from H&M.

We struggled slightly to find our hostel, but it was really only a little more than a 5 minute walk from the train station. It was my first hostel experience, so I don’t really have anything to compare it to, but it was fine enough for me. We had 12 beds in our room. The scariest part was the stairs haha. They were so steep they were like ladders. We didn’t spend much time there before heading out into the city.

We got breakfast at a place near the hostel and then went to the Anne Frank house. It’s something I’m really glad I got to see. It was way bigger than I’d ever expected, but I can’t imagine that 8 people lived there in secret for 2 years. Its just so incredible and tragic. After that we got lunch at this Italian place that Kelly had been before and really loved. It was expensive, but wonderful. Then we walked to the Van Gogh museum. Again, it’s something I’m really glad I got to see because we studied his stuff in highschool art and in my art history class last semester. Definitely something you need to see if you’re in Amsterdam.



The one thing about Amsterdam we soon discovered was the amount of walking required. It was just way more spread out than Valencia is. The place we spent the most of our time at night was Rembrant Square. There were a lot of bars, etc there where we were able to get free drinks. Always the thing we’re looking for. I had a great time, but it definitely made me appreciate Spain. I just love the lifestyle in Spain so much. Like we walked into all these clubs with fun music playing and in Spain everyone would be dancing and having a good time, but everyone there was just awkwardly standing around. Haha but we brought a little fun to these places.

We ended up going to bed around 1 I think. I was ok with that because I was exhausted from not having slept the night before and only getting 2 hours on the plane. But I still couldn’t help but think we would just be getting ready to go out if we were home.

It was delightful actually getting sleep though, I must admit. We got up around 10 and we got this amazing Dutch Breakfast. Then we went to the Bols museum and with your entrance you got a free cocktail and 2 shots. My cocktail was grosssss but I got chocolate with it, so it was a tradsie. Then I got coconut and butterscotch shots. They were good. Right after that we went to the Heineken factory and that was a super cool museum. We went to a whiskey distillery in Scotland last summer, but I’d never seen how beer was made before. We got 3 free drinks there, sooo needless to say we were feeling good when we went to lunch. Probably the reason we spent SO MUCH MONEY at the Hardrock Café. Ridiculous. We ordered our meals and then ordered 2 more dishes afterwards. Americannnssss. Not embarrassing at all.



We ate ourselves into a food coma, so we napped it out until we went out that night. We met up with some of Kelly’s friends that were in Amsterdam at the same time. We ended up back in Rembrandt Square and just got into lots of antics. Finally late at night we got food at McDonalds. And then met this sir and told him all about our delicious food. Then we saw BK and decided to stop in there and he told us we must be pregnant or on drugs. We were neither. Gotta love it. I was cracking up at our taxi driver on the way home, making him pronounce all the weiiird, long dutch words like deutchtilkinstraat. Thank God everyone spoke English because I can’t even sound that jank out.




The funniest quote of the night came when we got out of the taxi at our Hostel. It’s kind of inaprops, but mehhhhh. We were going to walk to the Redlight district but this guy on the side of the street kept telling us “redlight district is for boysss” in his weird accent and he said that like 3 times. Then he just shouted “red light district is for PUSSSSAYYYY” and did this dance with it. Haha maybe you had to be there, but it was funny.

Our roomies were already in bed when we got back, but we were just laughing and trying and failing to be quiet. I couldn’t actually fall asleep till 3 and we had to get up at 7 to make our flight.

Ok so since this post is so long, I’m going to go ahead and post this one and then write about Sunday and Monday in a separate one. Deallll.

I haven't uploaded my pics yet, but here are some from my friend's cameras!

No comments:

Post a Comment