Rosemary Barton
Avenida Neptuno 3
Urb. Port Mar N. 19
46137 Playa Pobla de Farnals
Valencia Spain

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Exploring

I don't think I held a single conversation in English yesterday. Yes, I speak to Andrea in English phrases, but she only responds in Spanish. And I teach Raul and Alicia things, but really my day to day life happens entirely in Spanish. I love it!

I had 2 hours with just me and the baby again yesterday. I walked her on the same route, probably about 2.25 miles total. We stopped in the same shady cafe and the old sirs remembered us! They were so nice. While we were there a little two year old girl named Elena came in and was really interested in Alicia. I felt like such a mom, asking her her name and such. Ali was so well behaved and I love that I know what makes her smile and how to keep her busy.

We went back to Loli's house when it was time for Ali to eat and then I was free for the day. I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with my camera, but I think I need a new memory card. For now I'm limited to the 5 pictures of internal memory that my camera has ha.

My one success of the day was finding the yahoo group for au pairs in Spain! I even found an American girl that lives in the village right next to us and we're going to hang out tomorrow. Yay friends!

I spent some time at the beach yesterday. Usually I just go to the spot in front of our house, but I walked down the shore a little to where there were less people and it was so quaint. The village right next to us (where the other au pair lives) is called El Puig. I've run past it before and there are all these chalets right on the water that are so pretty. So I decided to go exploring in the town and it was like stepping into a dream. Everything was so calm and beautiful. There's a cafe in town that I'll go back to sometime.





After walking around for an hour I decided to come home and rest before Andrea got back and my duties began. They actually didn't get home until 5:30. But then I took her for an icecream and we played on the beach. Whew, the beach with her is definitely more exhausting than the pool. She just gets so sandy haha.

I got her back a little after 7 for her bath and dinner. Then we made an invitation for her best friend Paula to come swimming at our pool. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed drawing and coloring more than she did. Haha I guess I'm still a kid at heart.

After she went to bed, Raul made us these typical Valencian shellfish for dinner. They're like small mussels and they were called crochetes (or something similar). I've never really eaten much shellfish, but I surprisingly loved them. They've opened my eyes to Mediterranean cuisine haha. They told me snails are next. Oh lordy.

We ate outside on the deck and it was a gorgeous evening. We talked until a little after 11, telling stories that made me laugh and teaching Alicia weird English words like sneeze and mucus.

I drank a tea while watching a Spanish tv show about prodigy children. Watching tv in Spanish is like watching it in English for me now...it just enters my brain like it's my own language.

This morning I got up at 8 and I'm headed to Loli's soon to watch Ali again. I'm happy because I enjoy it, but I also had wanted to go to Valencia. Oh well, I will for sure go this weekend! Happy Thursday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment