Rosemary Barton
Avenida Neptuno 3
Urb. Port Mar N. 19
46137 Playa Pobla de Farnals
Valencia Spain

Friday, June 24, 2011

Noche de San Juan

Yesterday was such a good day! It was my first time having Andrea all day and it went so well. We went to Loli's around 10:30 and stayed at the table drawing for a while. Later when the family saw my drawings they thought I was an artist hahaha. I guess I'm good at doodling?

Then we went to the pool, but the lifeguard told us that the person that cleans the pool hadn't come that day. So we walked back to our house to swim there. We had a lot of fun, but it was really cold when we got out, so we hurried to the house to change. I occupied her for a little while longer with some summer homework until we went back to Loli's for lunch.

She made us arroz cubano, which is rice with egg and tomato. I'd never had it before, but it was good. At 3, Andrea was getting really tired so we went home and she was so cute playing doctor with me and making my "hurt" finger better. I enjoyed today so much because she seemed actually happy to be with me. I'm always worried that she doesn't like me, so it was a good feeling.

Around 3:30, Alicia came home from work and told me I was free for the day. I was so tired so I took a nap. Haha I didn't even know what to do with myself since I haven't really had the night free yet. I did something pretty typical of me though and went for a walk down the beach and then looped down to the city limits of Pobla de Farnals....it's not as far as it sounds, it's a small town. I found a park that I'd never seen before and read my book for a while until I went home.

The whole family was gathering at Loli's that night for the dinner to celebrate the longest day of the year, or Noche de San Juan. We had a really traditional Spanish dinner with 14 people. Raul's two brothers came with their families and I like them all a lot.

We stayed in the house until 11:40 and then went out to the beach. The beach was FILLED with people sitting around bonfires. It's a tradition to make bonfires and jump over them. And then at midnight you go into the sea, jump over 7 waves, and throw fruit, money, and a flower into the water, and ask for a wish.


Family on the beach

We walked down the paseo with fireworks going off overhead until we reached the really big central bonfire. It was magical and I love celebrating these late night holidays in Spain that are so full of life and spending time with close family and friends.


Fireworks


Big bonfire

When we made it to the water, we all walked in and, jumped over our waves, and I threw in a cherry, a rose that Marta picked for me, and a 5 cent coin. It was a cool tradition to take part in. At 12:30 we walked home and I was exhausted. But the music and people partying lasted until 3 am outside my window. I was laying in bed, listening to all the happy people and was just smiling. I got the feeling that this was just my first San Juan in Spain out of many to come. I'm sure I'll be back here celebrating again in years to come.

This morning it was tough to wake up at 7:30. But it's Friday!! Hopefully today will go as smoothly as yesterday and then it's the weekend! I don't know what's in store for me, but it should be good. Andrea didn't wake up until about 10, so right now she's just coloring and then maybe we'll go to the pool or the park.

Happy Friday to all! I'll add pics from San Juan later tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment