Rosemary Barton
Avenida Neptuno 3
Urb. Port Mar N. 19
46137 Playa Pobla de Farnals
Valencia Spain

Friday, June 10, 2011

Beach Bum

Yesterday was another wonderful day in Spain. In the morning I sat at an outdoor cafe, writing a letter and reading. Then I went to the beach for two hours. The weather has been about 80 degrees, so in the sun it's perfect and I never wanted to leave.

Finally I did leave and I walked to get a stamp so I could mail my letter. Let me tell you, I was SO embarrassed. Why, you ask? I bought the stamp, proceeded to lick it to try and stick it on the envelope. It wasn't working and I must have looked confused because the woman who was working took it out of my hands and showed me how the stamp was a sticker. I probably just made all Americans look like idiots haha.


My cafe

Andrea and Alicia came home at 5 and Alicia had to take the baby to the doctor for a check-up. So Andrea and I went to the beach with all her toys in tow to make castles and (it goes without saying) get really really sandy and dirty. I am a straight beach bum this summer and I love it. We stayed for like an hour and a half and then it was quite the process of washing all the toys and getting her clean enough to walk in the house.





Once we were home, I gave her a bath (I'm getting better at this duty) and fed her dinner. Alicia told me to fry an egg for her. You don't understand how long it's been since I've fried an egg. Years at least. I don't know if I've even actually done it before. Andrea was watching me and she asked "no sabes como cocinar los huevos?" (you don't know how to cook eggs?). I was like uhhh...of course I know how to cook eggs... meh. It was good enough for a 4 year old.

After her dinner the parents came home and around 9 Andrea went to bed. Then we ate octopus for dinner! It's so creepy looking, but really good. I'm pretty sure with the size of the octopus we cooked the other night, we're going to be eating it for weeks haha. Fine by me.


Pulpo

Then Raul told me he was going into Valencia to meet up with some friends, which was perfect because Dominic is visiting Valencia for the weekend from Madrid (where he lives and teaches English). So I got a ride into town and I loved seeing the city at night. I was meeting Dominic at David's house because that's where he's staying. It took me like 20 minutes to walk there and it was such a fun reunion with the both of them.

We hung out a bit and then headed to the study center to get the "younglings." The study center was alive with all the students getting ready to go out. No classes on Friday for them...always convenient. We all went to Ghecko and stayed there until 3 when it closed. I got to hang out with Wes, Jordan, Dom, David, Ryann, and a bunch of other Americans from the program I met. It was an enjoyable night. It's funny, Ghecko is where we went the very first night of our program in the fall and I really hadn't been back since.

I haven't stayed up until 3 am (minus insomnia nights) since probably the last time I was in Valencia. Hahaha. I am such a grandma. The buses to Pobla de Farnals don't start until 7 am so David let me stay on his couch. I got up at 8:30 to catch the bus that leaves at 9 and it was fun being out at that time. You know how I love my mornings. But it was just cool seeing everyone going about their lives on a Friday morning--headed to work and school.

I got home around 9:30 and suddenly got really tired so I napped until noon. Now I'm finally showered and updating my blog (for mom's sake haha). When Alicia and Raul get off work, we're picking Andrea up and leaving for a friend's mountain house for the weekend. It's about two hours away and we'll be there with 3 other couples who all have 2 kids. Haha should be an adventure! I'm not bringing my computer though, so I'll tell you all how it went on Sunday evening!

Ciao :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Tweety - but waah! No blog till Sunday? Well, have a wonderful time in the mountains, and say hi to the deer! I saw Yurtle the Turtle near the driveway again this morning. He better watch out!

    ReplyDelete